In 1859, members of St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church began holding services on the corner of Alabama Street and Wood Avenue (formerly Market Street) in Florence, Alabama. One public record states that the property was purchased for fifteen dollars.
The first pastor of St. Mark was Reverend Cordy White. The first building was erected under his leadership. The present structure was erected in 1901 at 220 East Alabama Street under the leadership of St. Mark’s second pastor, Reverend L.J. Green.
St. Mark was incorporated on October 7, 1950. In the same year, Reverend George E. Nelson began serving and was installed as pastor in March of 1951. Three years after his installment, the church was renovated. In 1974, an educational facility was added.
Over the past 156 years, St. Mark has served communities of Lauderdale County, Alabama under the leadership of the above named pastors as well as others whose names include: Reverend Judge Johnson, Reverend Rufus Slack, Jr. and Reverend James E. Coleman. In 2012, a pastoral search committee began efforts to fill a vacancy. Our prayers were answered on December 8, 2013 when Bishop Dr. Will Boyd was “voted in” as our pastor.
Sign up to learn more about St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church